ABRUPTO

10.5.07


EARLY MORNING BLOGS
1017 - ....our Voyage at first was very prosperous.

Title PageMy father had a small Estate in Nottinghamshire; I was the Third of five Sons. He sent me to Emanuel-College in Cambridge, at Fourteen Years old, where I resided three Years, and applyed my self close to my Studies: But the Charge of maintaining me (although I had a very scanty Allowance) being too great for a narrow Fortune; I was bound Apprentice to Mr. James Bates, an eminent Surgeon in London, with whom I continued four Years; and my Father now and then sending me small Sums of Money, I laid them out in learning Navigation, and other parts of the Mathematicks, useful to those who intend to travel, as I always believed it would be some time or other my Fortune to do. When I left Mr. Bates, I went down to my Father; where, by the Assistance of him and my Uncle John, and some other Relations, I got Forty Pounds, and a Promise of Thirty Pounds a Year to maintain me at Leyden: There I studied Physick two Years and seven Months, knowing it would be useful in long Voyages.

Soon after my Return from Leyden, I was recommended, by my good Master Mr. Bates, to be Surgeon to the Swallow, Captain Abraham Pannell Commander; with whom I continued three Years and a half, making a Voyage or two into the Levant, and some other Parts. When I came back, I resolved to settle in London, to which Mr. Bates, my Master, encouraged me, and by him I was recommended to several Patients. I took Part of a small House in the Old Jury; and being advised to alter my Condition, I married Mrs. Mary Burton, second Daughter to Mr. Edmund Burton, Hosier, in Newgate-street, with whom I received four Hundred Pounds for a Portion.

But, my good Master Bates dying in two Years after, and I having few Friends, my Business began to fail; for my Conscience would not suffer me to imitate the bad Practice of too many among my Brethren. Having therefore consulted with my Wife, and some of my Acquaintance, I determined to go again to Sea. I was Surgeon successively in two Ships, and made several Voyages, for six Years, to the East and West-Indies, by which I got some Addition to my Fortune. My Hours of Leisure I spent in reading the best Authors, antient and modern, being always provided with a good Number of Books ; and when I was ashore, in observing the Manners and Dispositions of the People, well as learning their Language, wherein I had a great Facility by the Strength of my Memory.

The last of these Voyages not proving very fortunate, I grew weary of the Sea, and intended to stay at home with my Wife and Family. I removed from the Old Jury to Fetter-Lane, and from thence to Wapping hoping to get business among the sailors; but it would not turn to account. After three Years Expectation that things would mend, I accepted an advantageous Offer from Captain William Prichard, Master of the Antelope, who was making a Voyage to the South-Sea. We set sail from Bristol May 4th, 1699 and our Voyage at first was very prosperous.

(Jonathan Swift)

*

Bom dia!

(url)

© José Pacheco Pereira
Site Meter [Powered by Blogger]