ABRUPTO

10.1.04


COMO SE TIVESSE POUCAS COISAS PARA FAZER

agora vou todos os dias ler o “dia” de Samuel Pepys. Hoje, há 344 anos, Pepys mantém esta magnífica mistura entre a maldição dos “tempos interessantes” e as delícias do cabrito. Ontem, há 344 anos, “my wife and I lay very long in bed to-day talking and pleasing one another in discourse.” Hoje, os “Fanáticos” (seitas protestantes puritanas) estragaram-lhe o dia:

Waked in the morning about six o’clock, by people running up and down in Mr. Davis’s house, talking that the Fanatiques were up in arms in the City. And so I rose and went forth; where in the street I found every body in arms at the doors. So I returned (though with no good courage at all, but that I might not seem to be afeared), and got my sword and pistol, which, however, I had no powder to charge; and went to the door, where I found Sir R. Ford, and with him I walked up and down as far as the Exchange, and there I left him. In our way, the streets full of Train-band, and great stories, what mischief these rogues have done; and I think near a dozen have been killed this morning on both sides. Seeing the city in this condition, the shops shut, and all things in trouble, I went home and sat, it being office day, till noon.

(url)

© José Pacheco Pereira
Site Meter [Powered by Blogger]